SEP Football Program
“…sport is not just physical activity; it promotes health and helps prevent, or even cure, the diseases of modern civilization. It also is an educational tool which fosters cognitive development; teaches social behaviour; and helps to integrate communities.”
– Thomas Bach, IOC President
SEP aims to use football to mobilize, engage, and educate youth on life skills, health issues, and a wide variety of other topics. Football is the channel that we use to deliver key messages to the youths in our community. Through the power of “developmental football,” SEP’s specially trained coaches provide not only fun, but important life skills to develop the next generation of community leaders.
SEP’s unique Youth Football Program leverages the power of football as a tool to:
• Teach life skills through games and integrated messaging in areas such as HIV/AIDS prevention, health and sanitation, Agriculture & nutrition, reproductive health, peace building, and substance abuse
• Engage youth in healthy, fun social outlets
• Improve gender equality
• Mobilize youth and the community at large
• Develop youth leadership through training in coaching, refereeing and tournament management etc
Impact and Accomplishments:
• 1250 youth between the ages of 10 and 20 participate in ongoing football practice and matches
• 65% of all participants are girls and young women who would otherwise not have a social or athletic outlet outside of their traditional roles
• 100 youth have been trained in football coaching, refereeing, and First Aid and 20 are now volunteering as coaches and referees at local schools
• Have a football presence in 7 primary schools and 2 secondary schools.
• Hosts 3 football events per year focused on key life skill topics, resulting in massive behavior change among the youth. These are held in the months of April, August and December (During School Holidays).
On going Activities:
• SEP has on going football trainings in all its seven zones – Local Partner Primary Schools
• SEP has different age categories of players which form the SEP teams;
1. Senior team for both boys and girls – this is free age category
2. Under 16 for both boys and girls
3. Under 14 girls and boys
4. Under 12 for both boys and girls
• SEP has girls’ soccer tournament in every month of April. This attrcat over 15 girls teams Nation wide.
• SEP hosts National Annual Soccer Tournament and Educational Camp in every month of August. This attracts upto 20 teams across the country. (SEP receives over 30 applications to this effect, but due to lack of adequate capacity/shortage of funding, we only pick at most 20 for the event)
• SEP hosts HIV/AIDS tournament every 1st of December every year. This i a fun game, usually small sided games with Football3 methodology. Football three is a method that supports indepth learning as well as promiting fair play rule.
• SEP organises for Football Leadership Training sin such areas like
1. Football Caoching
2. Football Refereeing
3. 1st Aid
4. Events Planning and Management
• Register SEP Girls Soccer in the Kenya Premier League – Girls in this part of the village, Oyugis, have been side lined in talent development, hence this will be the opportunity to make the girls show that they are important part of the community, people with talent who can compete Nationally and achieve results. We want the girls from Oyugis region, an area that has been left out ij sports for a long time, to be seen as reliable role models to other young girls.
• Expand on resource mobilization focusing on soccer equipments so as to sustain and expand soccer programmes in the area
• Reach out to various institutions for financial support to help support and sustain SEP Girls Soccer in the Premier League.
• Sustain Soccer activities in the existing seven SEP soccer zones – Local Primary Schools.
• Participate in both National and International Soccer Fora
Projected Income Expenditure of the Programme:
With the above said activities, it is projected that every little funding support will count as follows:
April Soccer Event – US$2500 – Will support 15 girls tournament for two days
August National Soccer and Educational Camp – US$5000 – Will support the event of 20 teams for three days
December Aids Tournament – US$1500 – Will support the one day event for 20 teams
Soccer Related Trainings – US$4500 – Will support 4 different trainings in a year
Soccer Equipments – Sending any used soccer equipment will add great value
SEP Girls Premier League – US$15000 – Will support SEP Girls’ Participation in Premier
League for 1 season. (A year has two seasons)